Friday, June 24, 2005

WHY?

Because it's there, looming like Everest in the literature. Because the Modern Library rated it the number 1 novel of the century. Because I've often said that ULYSSES was without doubt going to be the one classic I would never get around to reading. Because I suffer from logopica (an abnormal craving to eat one's words). Because I want to be among the handful of people ( at last count, four Professor Emerituses of Literature and eleven autistic savants) who has* actually read the novel from first word to last.

Mostly, though, because I was surfing gorgeous six foot blue water waves off a remote island the other week and, when inside this one barrel, the Joycean epiphany occurred: read ULYSSES.

* (should that be who have? quick, somebody channel James Joyce for me...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home