Monday, October 17, 2005

Goshdarn it to heck!

In college I once spent Thanksgiving vacation with my friend on his grandpa's farm in Iowa. Me and my friend had both grown up as sons of missionaries in Indonesia, and the grandfather was a stalwart in the church.

Pops, my friend, and I were in the barn when Pops mishammered a nail, hitting his thumb. "Goddam it to hell," he shouted. Then he looked at us and revised himself. "Goshdarn it to heck!" he yelled.

Well, after finishing the section on Dedalus expounding on Shakespeare, that too is my sentiment. Both of them. Because I realize, that in fairness to Joyce and ULYSSES, I am going to have to re-read the whole thing --- ARGGGH GOSHDARN IT TO HECK -- just to make sure that I honestly, truly didn't get it, that I wasn't just lazing along on the surface words without trying to really understand what the heck's going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home