Thursday, June 30, 2005

How AA batteries are manufactured worldwide each year?

World population is 6.5 billion. I’d assume, averaging things out (some people use a lot of AA batteries, many use none; some appliances use 4 batteries, some only 1), that each person uses one pair of AA batteries per year. That's 13 billion.

Bump that up for overproduction, and thus my rough estimate: 15 billion AA batteries are manufactured each year.*

However, I daresay that not one pair of AA batteries has ever been used to read ULYSSES by flashlight.

* An AA battery is about 1.5 cm in diameter and 5 cm long. If 15 billion batteries were stacked in a cube, the cube would be several thousand kilometers to a side, enough to fit several hundred Dublins.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hey, Richard, nice blog. I'm sure I already told you how much I liked The Flame Tree, but I'll tell you once more: it's a wonderful book!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Richard Lewis said...

Thanks, Katie and thanks as well for being the first to post a comment.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home