Thursday, October 27, 2005

Off to Bella's Reef



Off to surf this wave tomorrow for ten days. ULYSSES stays home this time.

I believe I was the first one to surf this reef, certainly the first one to surf it this good (it’s pretty fickle). Following surfer custom, I have the right to name it. To do so, I have to pretty much say where it is, so I will say it’s on the northwest coast of Rote Island. And actually, the two friends who happened to be on my boat with me named the spot for my young daughter. Bella’s Reef, the beautiful wave.

For you non-surfers, this is what’s called a left-hander, as it breaks to the left as one faces the shore. On this wave the swell comes out of fairly deep water and throws its lip out far, creating the tube for the so-called tube ride. If you get inside a tube and ride it, it’s a pretty bitchin’ view.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaustubh R. Mone said...

Came across your blog when I was looking for some poor souls like me who have not yet finished reading Ulysses (its been 4-and-a-half years). Why have you stopped blogging about it? Have you actually finished reading it? Btw, I bought the book after finishing my Engineering...

10:53 PM  
Blogger Richard Lewis said...

It's there, like Mount Everest. Some climbers, takes repeated attempts.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home