Thursday, July 07, 2005

It's arrived!


My copy of ULYSSES has arrived. After quickly flipping through the pages, 783 of them, I am deeply moved by a profound sense of inertia.

Do I have to read the introductory front pages?

One interesting thing right of the bat, from my cursory examination of the front matter: I didn't know the book had been banned in the US. Books that are banned tend to get fame and notoriety. Is this one reason why ULYSSES is so famous and so unread?

Tomorrow I am off to an Internetless island with my kids to go surfing. I will not bring my laptop nor ULYSSES. I have packed other books to read, such as Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.

Just kidding (although I did read Brown's ANGELS AND DEMONS a few weeks ago on a similar trip -- my eyes haven't quite recovered from all their rolling). One of the books I do have is Robinson's GILEAD, which I am quite looking forward to read, as my father was a minister and missionary.

I'll plan out my year of reading ULYSSES when I return on July 20th.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you'll post your reading plan when you get back. I'm thinking of reading along with you . . . maybe. It's been, like, 25 years since I read it. Too long.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home