Saturday, April 15, 2006

What others say about ULYSSES

Snippets taken mostly from

reason.com:

"The paradox is that the book is a giant fart joke," says Diana Wynne.

"Ulysses could have done with a good editor," the acclaimed novelist Roddy Doyle recently told an audience of crestfallen Joyce fans. "You know, people are always putting Ulysses in the top 10 books ever written, but I doubt that any of those people were really moved by it."

Writer Stefan Sullivan in a recent Washington Times appreciation: "Ulysses is a pretty awful novel."

In the customer comments at Amazon.com: "This is one of those classic novels that gives classic novels a bad name," writes Eric L. Sparling.

"Joyce is blind in one eye because he read Ulysses and then the eye hung itself," writes nebber1214. "For Ulysses to be any worse of a book, it would have to break into your house and defecate on your bed."

Writer, surfer and adventurer extraordinaire Richard Lewis says, "In ULYSSES, James Joyce has a way with words in the same manner that e. coli has a way with bowels."

(Actually, I'm sort of enjoying the verbal diarrhea of the bar section that follows the Siren singing. And I didn't know, as Joyce makes clear, that men executed by hangings often get an posthumous erection)

6 Comments:

Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

There's nothing gets the old blood running, than banging the classics.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Annalisa said...

Hello, my name's Annalisa, I' an italian girl of 18. Sorry for my english, I'm trying to learn it. I was surprised when I saw your blog on James Joyce. I actually like his pen, I've read the Ulysses 2 times, with a good friend who explained me many and many things, and an useful guide.Keep on read it. You want to understand him? you simply can't, also reading it 2times... but please keep on...!
waiting for new post....

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernest Hemingway is totally overrated too.
I mean... he's AWFUL!

10:46 PM  
Blogger DW said...

How fun to find myself here. I wasn't "banging the classics"--we made a documentary about Bloomsday in which we describe Ulysses the greatest novel of the 20th century that no one's actually read.

More info on "Joyce to the World" here.

A relevant quote that didn't make it into the film:
"You cannot read Ulysses. You can only re-read it."

Diana Wynne

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wondered about this book but know I'll never read it. I hate stream of conciousness, but I've loved dipping in and reading your posts about reading it.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you're beginning to love the novel.

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home